Resources on Biblical Manhood
In preparation for my message on Biblical Masculinity (part of the Truly Human series), I consulted a number of books and articles other than the Bible. In the end, some of the most helpful stuff appears to have been reflections from my own failures and successes. However, here are some of the popular, not academic, resources I consulted. Note that I do not agree with all of the information in any of these resources:
- Misprint - local Austin publication that is funny, extremely crude, and insightful regarding Austin viewpoints on various cultural issues.
- The Austin Chronicle – local Austin newspaper with Classifieds that include Easy Street and Lovers Lane.
- Kanye Alters Rap World’s Perception of Masculinity- an insightful article regarding shifts in contemporary masculinity through the lens of Hip-Hop
- 13 Marks of Manhood – article by Al Mohler,
- Wikipedia on Masculinity
- Google on Robert Brannon, psychologist
- What’s the Difference?: Biblical Manhood & Womanhood (Piper) – this free booklet is one of the most helpful resources I know of, especially considering its brevity!
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (Piper & Grudem) – this volume is highly technical but deals with the finer exegetical and theological points very well and is also available for free online reading.
- God, Marriage, & Family (Kostenberger)
- Religion Saves: and 9 other misconceptions (Driscoll)
- Doing What’s Right in Matters of the Heart (Ensor) – eminently practical guide to manhood and womanhood is available for free here
- A Godly Man’s Picture (pub. 1666, Watson) – gospel-centered, practical reflections from one of my favorite Puritan writers
You’ll note that the articles lean in the direction of cultural exegesis, while the books lean in the direction of biblical exegesis. Feel free to email me for academic resources that deal with both conservative and liberal interpretations of the sermon texts!